Saturday 10 May 2014

Windy Weymouth

This week I spent a couple of days down in Weymouth with a few LRF sessions on the cards, I had planned to fish off the piers either side of the harbour entrance but winds gusting to 30mph made presentation and keeping in contact with the lure a nightmare. So I headed back into the shelter of the harbour to do a bit of mini species hunting. My aim was to catch as many species as possible over the two sessions, weymouth did not disappoint, its such a haven for the light game angler with so many different areas to fish a huge diversity of species  and always somewhere to get out of the weather.
Weymouth pleasure pier

Goby bashing..... as always the super aggressive goby is the first target when species hunting, there isn't a lure in the world this little things won't attack. I was fishing an ecogear shires fine jighead 0.9g size 10 and an ecogearaqua katsu aji straight.

Black goby

 I fished on through the plague of gobys under the pleasure pier hoping to pick out a scorpion fish or a blenny but to no avail so a move was in order, I headed round to the other side of the harbour to see what was on offer.


kingdom of the black goby

 Technique wise, its simple stuff. Find some structure, weed, rocky ground, moorings, walls etc. Structure=fish. Cast the lure or lower it down the harbour wall, keeping in contact with it as it falls so you can register any on the drop takes. Once the lure is on the bottom do nothing for a while, the lure falling through the water will have caught the attention of fish and they will come and investigate, if you move it away from where they are expecting to find it you've missed an opportunity. Next use small lifts of the rod tip (1-2 inches) to bring the lure back towards you, taking up the slack as you go to remain in contact with the lure. If you lowered the lure down the harbour wall lift and drop the lure on the spot or move it along the wall with your lifts, experiment on the day and find what works.
corkwing wrasse
Round the other side of the harbour I found a small slipway a few searching casts around the area produced this lovely green ballan wrasse. I love the way even small wrasse like this scrap, and its a compliment to using light balanced tackle to gain maximum enjoyment out of our fish, cranking in fish on beach casting gear just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

A bit more jigging around the harbour structure produced a few scorpionfish and more corkwings.

my personal smallest scorpion fish.

On my second session I was wearing my gopro and did a bit of filming, while filming I caught my first LRF flounder, only a small one but great fun and a new species to add to my list.

Heres the link to the video, more to come in the future.





No comments:

Post a Comment